National Eligibility Test is being conducted as a test to certify minimum eligibility for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship since the year 1989 and 1984 respectively. The examination is still being conducted as an eligibility exam for Assistant professor by the National Testing Agency under the purview of the University Grants Commission.
Even though as per the press release “Highlights of Minimum Qualifications for Appointment of Teachers in Universities and Colleges and Measures for Maintenance of Standards in Higher Education” by the Government of India dated June 13th, 2018, Ph.D. was made as a mandatory qualification for the recruitment of Assistant professors in University from 1st of July 2021, UGC NET, however still continues to be an vital and beneficial qualification for all of the following reasons:
* No Government Notification: It should be noted that there is yet no notification regarding the status of NET examination or its role as an eligibility exam and till such time NET examination should be pursued with the same gravity as before.
* PhD Admissions: NET is also an important examination from the point of you of Ph.D. admission. The score of NET examination is accepted by majority educational institution as an eligibility qualification.
* Doctoral Fellowships: Both JRF/NET qualified candidate are eligible for various government fellowships.
* Government Projects: There are many government projects which are granted on the basis of NET/JRF examination score.
* PSU Jobs: University Grants Commission (UGC) announced in 2013 that the candidates who clear the NET successfully would be eligible for lucrative (besides private college lectureship) jobs in public sector undertakings (PSUs).
* UGC Job Portal: UGC has lately also opened a Job portal for NET qualified candidates.
* Recruitment in Colleges: A doctorate has been made compulsory only for the recruitment of Assistant Professors in Indian Universities. This means that the National Eligibility Test along with Post Graduation continues to be the minimum requirement for direct recruitment for Assistant Professors in Colleges.
* Marks for NET qualification: If we apply for job in a state university/colleges, marks are allocated based on your education qualification based on which a candidate is shortlisted for interview. Usually, 3 marks for NET and 5 marks for JRF + NET are awarded. This is over and above the marks allocated for a PhD qualification. Thus a NET/JRF qualified candidate will always have an added advantage.
For more information on Ph.D.in India, Minimum Eligibility to enroll in a Ph.D. program, Eligibility exams for Ph.D., Universities offering PhD, How to get a Ph.D. Fellowship, JRF Stipend, Institutions for Ph.D. in India and more contact Zenith Ph.D. Training & Ph.D. You can reach us at www.zenithphd.in , or call us at 9821101125 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org